Friday, May 7, 2010

On the Road with the Duchess

So, the Duchess in question is Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York and we're not really on the road together . . . you may have guessed that! But, I am on the road for a few days and so is the Duchess and I did have a close encounter with her at a wonderful fundraising event in Greenville, NC a few days ago. And she is visiting five other cities while in the US and I'm visiting my mom so more about Fergie when I return home.

Meanwhile I thought you might like to know that today (May 7) is not only my mother's birthday, but also the day that Joan of Arc ended the Siege of Orleans in 1429 by leading the French Army to victory during the Hundred Years' War. Saint Joan remains an inspirational figure centuries later - perhaps because she is proof that one small person can make a difference.

And you don't have to be a martyr who is burned at the stake to do it. Although I'd almost be willing to go that far to be immortalized by Rossetti as Joan was (above).


And one final word about my mother (did I mention it's her birthday?) and Joan of Arc - my mother's wedding silver is the Joan of Arc pattern seen above - isn't it lovely? It's a great pattern that debuted in 1940 and is still in production - it has lots of great serving pieces and is always available on eBay! Keep it in mind if you're looking for a new sterling pattern to collect.

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails