Friday, March 26, 2010

Serendipitous Friday!

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Friday is the most promising day of the week.

Okay, so I borrowed a bit of that from Jane Austen, but don't you think it's true? Weekends are great, of course, but Friday holds the promise of the weekend - relaxing Friday night knowing you can sleep in the next day or perhaps starting the weekend a few hours early - that seems more rewarding than Saturday itself . . . The odd thing about this is that I don't even have a regular job now, I'm not committed to a five-day routine, but I still look forward to weekends and wake up on Fridays feeling a bit excited about what might be in store. And today turned out to be a great day - a mid-morning change of plans led to:

Lunch and tea with my husband at a fun cafe:

Some beautiful spring blooms spotted while I was out and about. The tree-lined drive at the top of this post is stunning in real life, unfortunately this house is on a busy road and it was difficult to get a good picture - this one was taken from the sun roof! As for the flowering shrub below, I can't think of its name - it's been driving me crazy all afternoon. If you can identify it, please help! I'd love to have this in my garden . . .

And finally a detour this afternoon led to the discovery of a book sale for a nearby library. We love book sales and this one was great - lots and lots of well-organized books at ridiculously low prices. Here's our stash (yes, they provided shopping bags and building-to-car umbrella service!).

So now I'm ending the day with my new (old) books and one of these:

And, I'm not thinking about the things that were left undone because of these last-minute diversions. After all, what's the point of a play-day if you're going to feel guilty later?

I hope your weekend contains a bit of serendipitous fun!

3 comments:

  1. Your post had a very relaxing effect on me, even though I have to work this weekend (for a Monday deadline) and am feeling stressed out. So, thank you!
    As for the flower, it looks like a flowering quince (chaenomeles) to me, but it's not the color I'm used to seeing (carmine.) And I looked for thorns or spines; if it's flowering quince it should have them. In any case, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine,
    Thank you so much for identifying the quince. I also think of it as a darker, redder color and am thrilled to know what this is - and I'm going to see if I can plant one or two this spring. After a bit of research, I think this one is called 'Cameo' - how appropriate.
    Good luck with your deadline!
    Cheers,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I thought too ... flowering quince and they are blooming right now in N.C. Love the first pic you showed of the tree-lined road. Have a great weekend - you're off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails