Monday, October 5, 2009

Happy Monday

First things . . . first. Here are the answers to our Saturday music quiz:
  1. Oh the shark has pretty teeth dear, and he shows them pearly white
    "Mack the Knife" which has a much longer history that I knew. Check out the history from 1920s Germany to Louis Armstrong to The Doors (who knew?) and Sting on Wikipedia
  2. Love is a temple, love is a higher law
    U2's "One"
  3. Summer fling, don't mean a thing, bu-ut, oh . . .
    "Summer Nights" from Grease
  4. Yeah, they were dancin' and singin' and movin' to the groovin'
    You probably knew the song - "Play That Funky Music", but can you remember the band that made it famous? Wild Cherry! Check out their performance on The Midnight Special on this YouTube clip (warning: serious 1970s bare chests and 'dos)
  5. How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat. Some dance to remember, some dance to forget.
    Perhaps the easiest question on the quiz - the Eagles' "Hotel California". If you were between 14 and 40 in 1977, you probably had this album. Again, lots of info about this rock classic on Wikipedia.
  6. But when you're walking down the street, and you ain't had enough to eat, the glitter rubs right off and you're nowhere
    "On Broadway" - my college suitemates and I played the George Benson version of this thousands of times (it was an old song then, but for some reason we were hooked on it). I still love it, but only that version . . . sorry Drifters, I love all your other songs!
  7. I bet there's rich folks eatin' in a fancy dining car
    Of course this is Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" - were you shocked that he never spent time in prison? Which reminds me, did you know Roy Orbison isn't blind?
  8. I laughed at all of your jokes, my love you didn't need to coax
    Rod Stewart's "Maggie Mae" - what can you say about Rod Stewart? He's still a great performer and hasn't lost that unique fashion sense . . .


  9. And I got a song to sing, all over this land
    Pete Seeger's "If I Had a Hammer" which was made famous by Trini Lopez or Peter, Paul, and Mary - depending on who you ask. The one thing all music lovers can agree on is that Leonard Nimoy's version is the worst!
  10. When I come home feelin' tired and beat, I go up where the air is fresh and sweet
    This summertime fave is "Up on the Roof" by The Drifters. It may not be that popular in other parts of the country, but fans of Beach Music in this area can't get enough of the song or of The Drifters. After all, the Carolina Shag is the official state dance of both North Carolina and South Carolina!

I hope you enjoyed the quiz. I'll be out of town the next few days, but will be posting photos from a recent Day Trip to Chinqua-Penn (as seen on A&E's America's Castles - before A&E became the crime/bounty hunter channel). Here's a preview:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails