Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Enjoying Fresh Summer Fruit? You Need These!

Take a peek at these fruit knives . . . Mother of Pearl handles, Sterling Silver Ferrules (the little bands between the handles & blades), and rather worn plated blades.
No wonder Edwardians included a fruit course with most meals. Who could pass up a chance to use a fruit set like this one? Originally these knives had matching forks and probably serving pieces as well. This early 20th century set caught my eye, but is one of those charming vintage items that's just not practical due to the poor condition of the blades. On the bright side, though, they're beautiful and sometimes that's enough!

Must run - I'm off to eat an orange the gauche, 21st century way - with my hands . . .

3 comments:

  1. Any way is the correct way to eat an orange! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Don't be a stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam! I'm very jealous of your hydrangea, it's a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those. I have the modern reproductions...nice too, but not as nice as these.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails